WHY SHOULD I BUY A STANDING DESK?
5 Minutes Reading
A Simple Way to Work Better and Feel Better
Two of the most common reasons people buy a standing desk solution are health and productivity. By sitting less and moving more you can improve both. For example, by standing and moving more at work, you can reduce back pain, boost your metabolism, and increase the probability of a pain-free workday by 80%.* As you can imagine, a pain-free workday makes for a more productive workday. Basically, a good standing desk solution can help you get more done and feel better. Want proof? Here’s a brief overview of what science has to say on the subject.
Study after study has confirmed the link between sedentary behavior and serious health issues. Dr. James Levine of the Mayo Clinic uses the term “sitting disease” to describe the laundry list of ailments that scientific research has associated with excessive sitting, including heart disease, diabetes, obesity, back pain, certain cancers and even depression.* Research also tells us that an hour at the gym isn’t enough to protect you from the risks of “sitting disease.”* The best approach is to regularly break up your sitting time throughout the day with standing, and ideally, movement.* Here are some more key takeaways from multiple studies on the health advantages of using a standing desk:
- Excessive sitting is harmful to your health even if you’re physically fit. *
- Sedentary behavior is associated with early mortality and chronic illnesses such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes. *
- Those who sit for more than 6 hours per day show more signs of psychological distress than those who sit less. *
- Standing for at least 4 hours a day, 5 days a week can burn up to 650 extra calories per week. *
- Using a sit-stand desk can reduce discomfort in your shoulders, hands, wrists, and back. *
Not only can your standing desk help you feel better, it may also help you work better. *
- A recent study by the Texas A&M Health Science Center found that standing desk users were up to 46% more productive at work. *
- The A&M study participants also reported a 75% reduction in bodily pain. *
- An Australian study found that activity-promoting desks can improve your ability to pay attention, accomplish tasks, and even manage stress. *
- Research shows that non-sedentary work environments enhance employee creativity, productivity and collaboration. *
We weren’t really surprised by these findings because when we survey Vari customers, they consistently report that using their standing desk makes them feel more energized, focused and productive. If you buy a standing desk solution from us, we’d love to hear from you too. Do you feel healthier, happier and more productive? Tell us about it by leaving a review on our site.
* Research sources cited at VARI.com/references